Friday, March 16, 2012

Are You Getting In Your Own Way?

 Dear Sir or Madame:
 I am in search of representation. I do not have much experience, but I know that I have the talent to book jobs.

Dear Sir or Madam:
Please publish my screenplay because I know that this story is awesome. I began writing it when I was 15 and my mother said it was great.

            Many people do not understand the importance of a cover letter.  Your cover letter is your sales pitch. It is what makes an agent want to bring you in and learn more about you.  Often people kill their efforts before they get started simply by having a lack luster cover letter. As artist our goal is to find someone to represent us.  We go through the painstaking process of mailing out packages in hopes of finding someone who will take an interest in us.

            Wouldn’t it be a shame to waist all that time and money never to get a response all because we could not sell ourselves in a cover letter? Your cover letter is your first impression. And as your mother always said, “You never get a second chance to make a first impression”.  So I would suggest spending just as much time on your cover letter as you put into your resume or screenplay.  Do the research. Understand what makes a cover letter great.

             Due to technology many times we are submitting electronically, but some submissions still require snail mail.  But whether submitting electronically or standard mailing make sure that your cover letter is sparking. 
·      Make sure it highlights the positive, and why and agent would want to invest in you.
·      Have friend proof it for you. 
·      Ask yourself, if I were reading this letter would I be interested in it.





No comments:

Post a Comment